Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Let the 2006 Summer Movie Season Begin!

The summer movie season is right around the corner, and I can't be more excited (the summer movie season is second only to the Oscar movie season, which runs from around mid-fall to the end of the year). With anywhere between three and six new movie releases EACH WEEK, how is the average moviegoer supposed to know which movies to see and which movies are just plain Dumb and Dumberer? Well, look no further! CJ is here to help you navigate the perilous waters of the 2006 Summer Movie Season.

Below, I've highlighted some of the summer movie releases of each month, classifying them in one of three categories: movies that will likely to be very good (+), movies that will be potentially good with a chance of disappointment (?), and movies that will likely be bad (-). Also, here is the link where you can find most of the trailers for the movies listed below: Apple Movie Trailers.

One more thing...if you've seen eit
her Matrix: Reloaded or Matrix: Revolutions, you know how good movies can turn bad very quickly. Therefore, try not to mock me when the summer's brightest star ends up burning out faster than you can say "Brett Ratner sucks". Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ May ~
Be very excited

(+) The Da Vinci Code --> Easily the most anticipated film of the summer and, considering the book has been on top of the bestseller list for more than TWO YEARS, I think it'll be quite popular. Plus Tom "God of Film" Hanks is in it...need I say more? (May19th)
(+) Poseidon --> The trailer for the film looks great, and I'm sure making it appear as though a ship is upside for an entire film is no easy task. Kurt Russell and Richard Dreyfuss are interesting choices (in a good way) for a remake that is sure to be a great special-effects movie. (May 12th)
(+) An Inconvenient Truth --> One of the most interesting trailers of the summer movie season. Watching this trailer gave me flashbacks to how powerful the trailer for Fahrenheit 9/11 was, and how much I anticipated the release of that movie. In an exciting comeback, Al Gore is the leading man of this documentary, which highlights the issue of global warming. A very important issue and, I'm expecting, a very amazing documentary. (May 24th)
(+) Mission: Impossible III -->Even though we all know Tom Cruise is currently insane, he makes a good action star. With J.J. Abrams, the genius creator of Lost, directing the film and an exciting bad guy role for Academy Award Winner Philip Seymour Hoffman, I'm willing to forget about the crap that was Mission: Impossible II. (May 5th)

(?) X-Men: The Last Stand --> I can't believe I have this movie in the "potential disappointment" category, considering the X-Men movies have been among my favorite of the recent surge of comic book movies (mainly because the movies have been treated so maturely by director Bryan Singer). But now with Director Brett Ratner, a crap-tacular filmmaker, at the helm, I just can't feel solid about the fate of the third movie. (May 26th)

(-) Over the Hedge --> Oh look, an animated film about animals that get caught up in mischief...uhhhhhhh. Sorry, but it gets old fast. And, coming from someone who had Finding Nemo and The Incredible in his top ten list a few years back, I appreciate a good animated film. This just doesn't seem like it will be one. (May 19th)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ June ~
My birthday AND the birth of a superhero

(+) Superman Returns --> I recently saw an interview with Brandon Rorth, who will play a young Superman in the movie, and his voice, mannerisms, and looks are EXACTLY what one would think a young Christopher Reeves would be like. With the great success of Batman Begins (arguably the best Batman movie of the series), this seems like a sure bet. And Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther? Sold. (June 30th)
(+) The Break-up --> A funny trailer proves that Vince Vaughn is here to stay as a really good comedic actor. And, of course, with all the tabloid to-do about Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston (or as I call them 'Vinennifer"), expect a Mr. and Mrs. Smith-type success. (June 2nd)

(?) Nacho Libre --> Jack Black is great; School of Rock proved that. But I'm not sure what to make of the trailer for this movie. I wasn't laughing as much as I thought I should have been. It will probably be a good cult comedy movie, much like Napoleon Dynamite was (especially since the director of both movies is Jared Hess). (June 16th)
(?) Strangers with Candy --> The television series was actually pretty funny, and Amy Sedaris is hilarious when she gets going (just watch her on David Letterman every other week). But, I'm not sure this will translate into a good movie, or that people will care enough to see it. (June 18th)

(-) The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift --> Please stop. When Vin Diesel chose not to be in the second movie, it became clear that these movies were just pure garbage. Actually, I realized that half way through the first one, which I opted to download, risking federal punishment, rather than pay for. (June 16th)
(-) Garfield's A Tale of Two Kitties --> Once again, sorry for being so hard on the animated movies, but nobody wants this movie! Not even kids! I'm pretty sure the first one of these movies tanked in box office sales, but I really don't care enough to look it up. (June 16th)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ July ~
The fate of this month rests on a pirate, a mermaid, and Kevin James

(+) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest --> I really enjoyed the first film, mainly because it just felt like pure entertainment fun (especially due to a really creative performance by Johnny Depp). I'm expecting just as much from the sequel, and the trailer looks pretty promising. (July 7th)
(+) Little Miss Sunshine --> Being considered one of the hottest properties at the Sundance Film Festival, this movie will definitely be refreshing in a sea of special-effects movies. Greg Kinnear and Tony Collette are good actors, but I'm most excited about Steve Carell, who is absolutely hilarious. See The Office, 40-Year Old Virgin, and old episodes of The Daily Show for proof. (July 28th)

(?) Lady in the Water --> The Sixth Sense was a grand slam. Unbreakable was a strikeout. Signs was an infield hit. The Village, a strikeout times ten. Whatever the score is, I just don't know what to make of M. Night Shyamalan, but Paul Giamatti is a good actor, so I'll be back to the stadium once again for this one. (July 21st)
(?) Miami Vice --> I love the way Michael Mann films his movies (see Collateral). But, I'm not sure anyone asked for this popular 80's television series to be made into a movie. (July 28th)
(?) You, Me and Dupre --> While it could end up being a great summer comedy, the trailer doesn't make me laugh a lot. Of course, they could be saving all the good jokes. And I've come to trust Owen Wilson and Matt Dillon, so I'm really hoping this is a good one. (July 14th)
(?) A Scanner Darkly --> Check out this trailer first, then decide for yourself. I really thought the visuals of Sin City made that movie extra-interesting, and the cartoon-eque style of this movie may achieve the same thing. Then again, the movie stars Keanu Reeves. (July 7th)

(-) Barnyard --> I couldn't really find any July movies that I thought would be really terrible, so I'll just pick on the animated films once again. In my defense, the "star" voices of the movie are Kevin James, Courteney Cox, and Wanda Sykes. (July 28th)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ August ~
Summer ends with snakes

(+) Flag of our Fathers --> YES, our summer Oscar movie! Let's size this one up: Directed by Clint Eastwood, who won two Oscars two years ago for Million Dollar Baby + Written by Paul Haggis, who won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar the past two years in a row (!) for Crash and Million Dollar Baby + the topic of WWII and the memorable raising of the American flag by six men at the Battle of Iwo Jima + the interesting gimmick of having a second movie follow, telling the perspective of the Japanese = OSCAR GOLD!!! (August 4th)
(+) Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby --> Watch this trailer and dare to not see this movie. Will Ferrell is hilarious (I'll watch Anchorman every time it's on TV), and with NASCAR as the topic of mockery, as well as an appearance by Sasha Baron Cohen (a.k.a. Ali G), Gary Cole (Bill Lumbergh in Office Space) and Elvis Costello, this is likely to end up a comedy favorite. (August 4th)

(?) Snakes on a Plane --> Ok, calm down, I know what you're thinking: why the hell did you put this movie in the "potential disappointment" category when it is clearly movie gold!? Well, I'm just afraid that all the crazy buzz is making us forget that the concept for this movie is very bad. I'm willing to forget all this, however, for an R-rated Samuel L. Jackson. (August 18th)
(?) Apocalypto --> I'm definitely interested in the concept of this movie, and the trailer looks pretty decent. But, I still haven't seen A Passion of the Christ, and I think it's because a) Mel Gibson's dad is clearly anti-Semitic, b) Mel Gibson seems to be getting stranger as he becomes more involved in making films rather than acting in them, and c) there are other movies I'd rather see first. I wonder if the same will apply to this movie. (August 4th)
(?) World Trade Center --> I guess we'll find out how the public will respond to movies about September 11th when United 93 comes out this month, but I'm actually more interesting in World Trade Center, mainly because it's directed by Oliver Stone. Of course, JFK showed us how Oliver Stone's work can be quite controversial, which could be good or bad for this film. (August 11th)

(-) Clerks II --> I did like the original Clerks movie, but it just seems stupid making a sequel to the cult favorite. Much like Mike Judd promised to never make a sequel to Office Space, I think Kevin Smith should have done the same. (August 18th)
(-) DOA: Dead or Alive --> Although I am a huge advocate for the video game industry, their translation to the big screen hardly ever works. The reason? They are produced, directed, and cast with people that are TERRIBLE! Start treating the material seriously and video game movies will start being good (don't agree?... Pirates of the Caribbean received FIVE Oscar nominations and it was based on...A THEME PARK RIDE!). (August 25th)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: