Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hello. My Name Is CJ, and I Have A Problem.

I love watching movies. I love watching television. I love reading magazines. I love reading books. I love playing video games. I love surfing the web. I LOVE ENTERTAINMENT! Unfortunately, I love doing each of these things every day. As you can guess, this results in a time-management problem. Let's calculate this...

1 New 2-Hour Movie per week
(assuming I watch 2 new movies in theaters and 2 new DVD's per month)
+
15 Hours of Television per week
(assuming I watch Prison Break, 24, The Apprentice, Scrubs, The Real World, Lost, Alias, Survivor, The O.C., My Name is Earl, The Office, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, The Sopranos, and various other shows I usually watch such as The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park, and news on CNN...you know, just a few select shows )
+
5 Hours of Magazine Reading per week

(assuming it takes 2 hours to read each of 2 weekly magazines, and 2 monthly magazines)
+
1 Hour of Book Reading per week
(assuming I read less than 10 minutes per night)
+
30 Minutes of Video Game Playing per week
(this has significantly decreased over the years, even though a lot of good stuff c
omes out that I just don't have time or money to buy)
+
14 Hours of Web Surfing per week
(assuming 2 hours per night...thanks a lot, blog!)
=
*** 37.5 Hours of Entertainment PER WEEK ***

Putting all of this in perspective: in a week (which is made up of 168 hours), I spend 22% of my time on entertainment (which translates to 2.5 days of each 7 day week...or, in more upsetting terms, it's like watching television, reading, etc. from Midnight on Monday until Noon on Tuesday each week). This stacks up against 29% of time spent sleeping per week, 15% of my time eating meals, 4% of my time getting showered and dressed, 4% of my time driving in a car, and 0.002% of my time sneezing (this is assuming that an average sneeze, from starting to feel the sneeze urge to the finished sneeze, is 3 seconds long, and I sneeze approximately 4 times per week). Therefore, after being entertained, sleeping, eating, showering/dressing, driving, and sneezing, I have 25.998% of my week left to spend working, seeing my girlfriend, family, and friends, and thinking about the future plans of my life.

I can draw two conclusions from all of this data: (1) I should probably be spending less time on entertainment and more time on important things like thinking about my future (graduate school, here I come?); and (2) I need to find a way to either minimize my sneezing, or lessen the length of my sneezes to about 2.3 seconds each, because it's really eating into my TV watching time.

(How absurd is this picture!?)

No comments: