Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy Graduate's Day and Congratulations Father...Wait...Reverse That...

This past weekend was an eventful one...

My girlfriend's graduation party was on Saturday and it was a huge success. There was tons of great food (catered from a great Italian place), awesome desserts (including 5 quarts of assorted Rita's Water Ice, thanks to yours truly), and so many fun things to do (including playing volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc.). Also, two days earlier I spent the entire day constructing a top-notch quoit court...ok, I'll give you some time to go to this website because, unless you are from very specific towns within very specific parts of New Jersey or Pennsylvania, you won't have a clue what the game of quoits is...ok, so now you know. Anyway, with a shovel, some wood, and 8 hours of labor, I was able to construct a way in which Andrea's dad could shame me during the party by greatly defeating my quoit team. Still, being beat by Andrea's dad in quoits is like being beat in golf by Tiger Woods: playing with them is honor enough. To sum up, it was a great day with great weather, great food, great people, and great fun...

Sunday was Father's Day, naturally. My sister was in charge of making the plans this year, and she decided on a dinner-and-a-movie day. My sister picked the 'dinner' part, which was a great Japanese hibachi place called Banzai, and I picked the 'and-a-movie' part, which I had hoped would be Poseidon (a movie that I was planning on seeing, and then decided not to when so many other better movies came out, and then realized would be a perfect movie for Father's Day with a dad that liked the original Poseidon Adventures). Well, Banzai went off wonderfully...the movie part, not so much. Turns out when my sister said the movie was at 5:20pm, it actually wasn't...so, I decided to defer my decision-making power to my dad, who was presented with the following options: An Inconvenient Truth (not really the right movie for Father's Day), Nacho Libre (my Dad doesn't really like Jack Black), The Omen (he didn't care for the original or the other remakes too much), and...The Lake House. FOR SOME REASON, my dad had "read the blurb online" and was stuck on the idea that The Lake House "had a twist" and "looked really interesting"...wow...I was shocked and appalled. My dad, a 65-ish year-old retired accountant wants to see a love story/drama where Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock communicate to each other from two years apart by putting letters in a supernatural mailbox (sounds like the well is a tad dry, hey Hollywood?). Unfortunately, it was Father's Day, and my dad is a father (go figure), so his decision was final...in we went to see The Lake House. I was so mad that I called Andrea beforehand and cursed for a good 5 minutes. Now for the big twist of this blog post...The Lake House actually isn't a bad movie...then again, it's no masterpiece. For an extremely strange romantic drama movie premise , it actually kept my interest, was filmed well, and deserves to be called an 'OK' movie. So, I admit I judged a book by it's cover (or rather a movie by it's seemingly horrible plot, actors, and genre)...I still don't understand why my dad had faith in this movie and, from now on, I'll save the chick-flicks for Valentine's Day, NOT Father's Day!

No comments: