Sunday, June 25, 2006

Entertainment Advertising 101

If you're like me, you spend many hours a week watching old reruns of Full House, Family Matters, and Boy Meets World (hopefully, you are not like me and you actually spend your time doing productive things...but let's just pretend, for the sake of this post, that you're as useless as I am). This means that you may be a steady viewer of the ABC Family channel, which is also home to reruns of the very funny Whose Line Is It Anyway?. Well, it turns out that tomorrow is the premiere of ABC Family's highly publicized new series Kyle XY. There have been advertisements EVERYWHERE for this damn show: commercials, newspapers, online, magazines, etc. I'm not usually one to pick on new shows before they premiere (then again, I would never watch a new show from a network like ABC Family anyway, so I don't mind prejudging), but I just have to voice my irritation with this particular show. Take a look at this ad from a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly...
...Ok, so this advertisement asks the question "Who is Kyle XY?" and reveals that the BIG TWIST of this ray of hope for the television success of the ABC Family network is...HE HAS NO BELLY BUTTON!?!?!!??!?!? Wow, hand the creators of this show the Emmy right now! I'm sorry, but I can't even imagine where this series will go from here, and I'm pretty sure that any television show that focuses its plot around the great mystery that is the umbilical cord is not going to become a hit. Then again, I could be wrong and by next year there may be the premiere of ABC Family's new series Karen XX, the story of a young girl found wandering alone in the woods...and she's missing fingernails!!!

On the other side of advertising (i.e. the successful side), here is a NEW exclusive trailer for Zach Braff's upcoming movie The Last Kiss. I was a HUGE fan of Garden State and I definitely can't wait for this to be released in September. Check it out!

1 comment:

Mr. Cooper said...

You can download the pilot for free on iTunes. I watched it yesterday. Not mind-blowingly bad, but I think you can keep that Emmy tucked away for now. Or better yet, give it to me.

And to be perfectly honest, there's a massive billboard for this right by my apartment, and I NEVER noticed the belly button thing until I watched the show. I just thought it was a really cheap advertising ploy showing off some guy's abs to get viewers.