Friday, August 18, 2006

A Night I Won't Soon Forget

______________________________________________________________

Movie Title: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Starring: Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Gary Cole, Michael Clark Duncan, Sacha Baron Cohen, Amy Adams.

Date/Time Attended: The 7:15pm showing on Saturday August 5th, with Andrea (I've lost count of how many "date movies" we've seen this summer, so don't ask).

Movie Synopsis in One Sentence: The rise and fall (and subsequent rise) of Ricky Bobby, an adrenaline-obsessed, ultra-American race car driver.

The Good
:
I'm a big fan of Will Ferrell (even though I only see the movies I assume will be good, leaving out such gems as Bewitched), so big that I claim Anchorman is one of the funnier movies of the 21st century. In this movie, Ferrell channels his inner-George W. Bush/Forrest Gump (is stating both of these names redundant?...oh, snap!) to present us with the exact persona you'd expect from a race car driver (I mean that with the utmost respect). In what may be the weirdest accent I've ever heard, Sacha Baron Cohen almost steals the show as the gay French (also redundant?...oh, double snap!!) rival race car driver. Most importantly, the ending to this movie is so very hilarious and satisfying...here's hoping for a 'Best Kiss' nomination from the MTV Movie Awards next year!

The Bad: First of all, this movie suffers from what I like to call 'trailer fatigue"; I was fully exposed to so many of the potentially hysterical moments of the movie (i.e. running around the track in his underwear, stabbing himself in the leg with a knife, a live cougar in the car, etc.). Additionally, I think John C. Reilly is underrated, but even I have to admit that a lot of the jokes with Reilly and Ferrell simply felt overworked (of course, there is one hilarious coma joke involving Reilly's buttocks...I've already said too much).

CJ On NASCAR: Uhhhhhhh...show me a purpose and I'll care...actually, I probably still wouldn't care.

The Verdict: I'd take Ron Burgundy over Ricky Bobby any day, but that doesn't mean I didn't laugh and cheer for the insanity that is Talladega Nights.

If You Liked______, You May Like These: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Elf, Cars.

FINAL GRADE: B

1 comment:

RC said...

i agree about the trailer fatigue here...but it was fun and enjoyable for all that it was.

i wanna go fast,

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com