Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Emmy's In August..."Nothing Makes Sense Anymore!"

I was planning on posting about my post-Emmy Awards impressions but, thanks to the diligent Mr. Cooper, the work is already done for me! Considering how I agree 100% with his post on the Emmy's, I'll just refer you directly to his comments. To reiterate, it really was amazing how Conan O'Brien gave one of the most enjoyable Emmy hosting performances I can remember, and so exciting to see The Office, 24, Kiefer Sutherland, and Jeremy Piven take home awards...almost exciting enough to erase the horrible declaration "And the winner for Best Actor in a Comedy Series is...Tony Shaloub". You cut me deep Emmy's, you cut me real deep.

Anyway, a few questions still remain about Sunday's Emmy Awards. Here are a few...
  • Why does E! think it's a good idea to encourage Billy Bush's existence by continuing to employ him?
  • How many awards categories are necessary to finally make 'Made-For-TV' movies feel legitimate?
  • Why was Candice Bergen dressed like a rodeo clown (this actually made me spit grapes out of my mouth)?
  • Can Conan host every year?
  • It was pure coincidence that the cast members of every new show on NBC's Fall lineup were presenting awards, no?
  • What percentage of plastic surgeons in California is the original cast of Charlie's Angels responsible for keeping their practices afloat?
  • When will awards shows realize that it's probably better to run 5 minutes over their expected running time than to make me listen to ear piercing violins drown out the latter half of the speech given by a person in their deserved moment of glory?
Finally, I leave you with what remains the greatest pearl of wisdom regarding the winning of an Emmy Award...

"When you're handed your Emmy, don't say 'Wow, this is heavy'. Of course it's heavy, it contains the shattered dreams of four other people."
[Conan O'Brien, during the opening monologue of the 2006 Emmy Awards]

No comments: