Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Don't Mess With New Hampshire

Wow, just wow. Politics is not for the faint of heart. What an amazing night it was on both sides, but obviously more significantly on the Democratic side. Let's evaluate my predictions...

Yeah, I'd call my predictions a mixed bag, and that's being very generous. On the Republican side, I got the order perfect, with McCain first, Romney second, and Huckabee third, but my thoughts on the finishes being closer than expected was not really the case at all. I was also right about Giuliani and Paul battling for 4th place, but it looks like Giuliani will win by a couple thousand votes or so (which really speaks poorly for the Giuliani campaign, by the way). On the Democratic side, things were vastly bleaker for my predictions. Not only did Barack Obama not beat Hillary Clinton by 9-15 points, as I predicted, but he instead bucked the trend of so many polling sources and lost (by what was thankfully only a few points). The possibility that Edwards would come close to a second place finish was unfortunately not realized, and so I was pretty much off there, too. AND, that's not even mentioning that I haven't heard anything about Bill Richardson ending his campaign any time soon, so I can't even have that satisfaction!

So, there you have it folks. We've got ourselves one of them old fashion political duels on the Democratic side (although, I'm still hoping Edwards remains viable with the potential for some kind of victory somewhere along the way), and on the Republican side we're left with an all out melee between an entire cast of characters. Finally, there is one more prediction that I am willing to make at this point, and it's a definitive one...this is really going to be one hell of an election season!

**********
UPDATE: Looks like Bill Richardson is indeed ending his presidential campaign, so this allows me to recover a few points for my wounded prediction score. I guess this officially means that the Democratic field is down to three, and you know what they say...three's a crowd.

**********

No comments: