Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The People Have Spoken

Well, there you have it. Once again, the Republicans will maintain control of both the House and the Sen...wait...wait a minute...oh boy...oh my god...OH MY GOD! AHHHHH!! FINALLY!!! "YESSSSSS!!! THEY DID IT!!!

*** THE DEMOCRATS HAVE RETAKEN CONTROL OF CONGRESS ***


I channel my inner Borat for this occasion...WA WA WEE WA! It was an amazing election night for the Democrats, and both Mr. Cooper and I were there every step of the way...in front of our televisions, of course.

Let's see how successful my predictions were from my earlier post:
  • Jon Kyl in Arizona...check
  • Joe Lieberman in Connecticut...check
  • Bill Nelson in Florida...check (big surprise, a disabled monkey throwing his own feces at voters would have beaten Katherine Harris)
  • Ben Cardin in Maryland...check
  • Jon Tester in Montana...check
  • Claire McCaskill in Missouri...check
  • Robert Menendez in New Jersey...check
  • Sherrod Brown in Ohio...check
  • Robert Casey in Pennsylvania...check
  • Sheldon Whitehouse in Rhode Island...check
  • Bob Corker in Tennessee...unfortunately for Harold Ford, check
  • And finally, I barely chose George Allen in Virginia...and I'm so damn happy I was wrong! Pending a magic box full of 7,000 Allen votes being misplaced in Virginia, Jim Webb will be the 6th and final Democratic seat gain necessary to control the Senate!
So, 11 out of 12 predictions correct...pretty good (especially considering the Webb-Allen race is less than a 0.5% difference). I simply cannot express how excited I am for the newly elected Democrat House and Senate, and I sincerely hope they aim high with their ambitions over the next couple of years, keeping in mind the needs of all Americans, but especially those Americans most in need.

In closing, I leave you with various observations - some amusing, some amazing - that I made during the course of this election season...
  • Number of hours after the polls closed on the East Coast before we knew the results of senate seats in Ohio, Connecticut, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Maryland, and Pennsylvania: 3
  • Number of hours after the polls closed in Montana before we knew the results of the Montana senate seat: 14
----------------------------------------
  • Number of racial groups you need to offend to barely lose a senate election in Virginia: 2
----------------------------------------
  • Number of races in the House and Senate combined that Democratic challengers won against Republican incumbents: 26
  • Number of races in the House and Senate combined that Republican challengers won against Democratic incumbents: 0
----------------------------------------
  • Number of re-elected Governors that have spoken the phrases "rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers", "I don't care who does what to your Hershey highway", and "I'm a cop you idiot": the one and only 'Governator'
----------------------------------------
  • Number of times the phrase "too close to call" was uttered on MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News election night: 22...thousand
----------------------------------------
  • Number of eggs on Karl Rove's face: a dozen for each lost Republican race
----------------------------------------
  • Number of total hours of televised election day coverage I watched: 16

2 comments:

Mr. Cooper said...

I refer you to my comment on your "Countdown to Election Day" post:

"I agree, except for Virginia. Webb has it."

Clearly, I have rare psychic abilities, and should be worshipped as a prophet. Or I'm a good guesser. Either way, I should be worshipped. Or at least warmly praised.

Peter Matthes said...

I must admit that I voted for the disabled monkey throwing his own feces at voters.