Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stan Lee At JFK Airport!

That's right, I was standing next to Stan Lee, famed created of Marvel Comics, at JFK Airport.

Yesterday evening, my brother was flying back into JFK airport from his trip to San Francisco, and so after my Wednesday afternoon class at NYU I decided to meet him there to take the train back home with him. Well, as we were waiting at the baggage claim area, both my brother and I took notice of a well-dressed, dark sunglass-wearing, older man across the way that looked strikingly similar to Stan Lee. There was still a chance that it was just some random hip older guy that didn't even realized he was stealing Stan Lee's style, so we figured we could know for sure if we went over and stood close enough to him to hear his distinctly deep, gravelly voice. Sure enough, it wasn't more than a few moments before I heard him utter a couple of words to his personal assistant that I knew for sure I was standing next to Mr. Marvel Comics himself! Then, the recognition that he had a personal assistant, as well as a limo driver standing close behind, really cemented the fact that it was Stan Lee.

I have to say, he looks even cooler and more youthful in person than he does in pictures or on television. As usual, I decided not to approach him with some corny "Hi Mr. Lee, I'm a big fan!" line, and him being surrounded by a pseudo entourage of assistants would have made it difficult to get close enough anyway. Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased I decided to do the nice thing and meet my brother at the airport, as I was rewarded with being in the presence of a comic book legend!

No comments: