Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Healthy Dose of Perspective

This past week I decided to start reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, a former New York Times Bestseller and upcoming adapted film directed by Marc Foster (Finding Neverland, Stranger Than Fiction), which will be released later this year...2008 Oscar Season, here we come!

Why, you ask, did I start reading this book? Well, would you believe me if I said my independent intellectual curiosity for world literature was just too strong to ignore? Yeah, I didn't think so. It turns out my fiance is teaching the book to her 12th grade world literature class, a decision I applaud her school for making considering I can't remember anything nearly as contemporary and interesting being part of the curriculum during my senior year.

The events of the story, clearly based on the life experiences of Hosseini, are fictionalized within the historical background of modern Afghanistan. I can't get over how Hosseini, a career physician, was able to write such an interesting first book. I think it's precisely his amateur level of experience as a writer that makes the story feel even more real and accessible to the reader. Reading this book is like eating a piece of sponge cake: you start off taking a little piece here and a little piece there, and before you know it you're halfway done eating the entire cake!

Read this book...and now I have a craving for sponge cake. New rule: no more food analogies in my blog posts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you liked sponge cake.

CJ said...

Ahhh, very shrewd of you...I actually meant to reference my love for angel food cake, but for some reason wrote sponge cake. However, thanks to a quick Google search, I've come to learn that sponge cake and angel food cake are like cake cousins...knowledge is power.

Anonymous said...

I was just kidding! We both love when Chatty Gatty makes her angel food cake (especially the bottom!)

Mr. Cooper said...

I can't believe you put down "The Hobbit" to read a new book. You've been reading it since freshman yhear of college ... and were on track to finish it sometime in 2011! Guess it'll have to wait. Hopefully this one will be finished before the next presidential election and you can get back to Tolkein.