Monday, May 08, 2006

What God Must Have Felt Like...

I HAVE A DVR BOX!!! Finally, I've managed to obtain the one modern invention that was clearly the result of a study conducted on my life, specifically my insane obsession with recording hours and hours of television every day, every year for the past 8 years (give or take a season). I am in COMPLETE control of all this is television! Now, the need to rush home during the 3-minute break between Deal or No Deal and The Apprentice because I am already recording 24 at 9:00pm is no longer a necessity when all will be recorded simultaneously; the urge to "release" the 32 liters of Aquafina water I have just consumed is no longer a burden when I can pause The Daily Show at any time; AND, no longer will I have to get angry at my television when this week's episode of Lost is just a recap episode of the season, because my DVR creates NEW episodes of all my favorite shows when they're off for the week...yeah, so, I completely made up that last function, but how COOL would that be!?

Speaking of Lost, the world needs to just declare that this is one of the best shows ever created and J.J. Abrams is indeed Jesus resurrected for a second time (first time, for all my Jewish friends out there...hollllaaaaaa!...or should I say challahhhhh!...if you don't get this, you don't know your Jewish breads, something I pride myself on knowing). As amazingly in-depth as the plot lines, characters, and visuals of each episode of Lost are, what always surprises me is how involved the people behind Lost are in creating the "extra myth", as I like to call it, outside of the episodes themselves. I'm not talking about the message boards or the official Lost website, which almost all shows have in some form or another. I'm talking about things like extremely detailed, and completely fake (i.e. made based on the events of the show) websites, such as The Oceanic Airlines website based on the airline company of the crashed plane, and The Hanso Foundation website based on the scientific-ish company behind (?) so much of the events on the island. There are enough juicy details in each of these websites to keep any obsessive fan occupied for DAYS!

Not satisfied? How about a fake commercial that ran during last week's episode which advertises the "experience" of The Hanso Foundation (it plays on the home page of the website I linked above); in the television airing, a phone number was included (namely, 1-877-HANSORG)...do yourself a favor and call it; it's equally the most entertaining and scariest phone recordings linked to a television show I have ever heard, after the "916-Call-Turk" phone number that was Turk's cell new cell phone last season on Scrubs, which was equally entertaining (actually, the 'k' isn't necessary when dialing the phone number, so save yourself a good 0.09 seconds and leave it off). Interestingly, this is the second time in the past couple of months that I've seen a show create fake commercials, the other being a great NBC show The Office (also a favorite for show "extras" -- each member of the cast has a blog which they update during the idle time of filming new episodes) which made multiple faux-"The More You Know..." commercials with various cast members. One of my favorites, stated by Mr. Dwight Schrute -- "Myth: wolves are dangerous to humans. Fact: you have a better chance of being hit by a meteorite than eaten by a wolf...except if you wake up naked in the woods." You couldn't PAY for that kind of "extra" goodness...unless you wait to buy the DVD box set which will almost certainly contain all the commercials.

No comments: